Saturday, January 8, 2011

Video Storyboard: Impact of Second Life on learning outcomes, student engagement, motivation and collaboration


Storyboard for video presentation.


Topic: Discuss the impact of Second Life on learning outcomes, student engagement, motivation and collaboration.






Points to address:                           Details Included:                      Implementation:

Key aspects
1.     Brief History and background information
2.     Description to explain concept
1.     Scrolling  Document similar to credits
2.     Sample snapshot from YouTube.com
Comparison to other social media
1. Demonstrate 3 major differences
  1.  Live video clip of facebook,and email  gaming and then phase in attributes of an avatar

Why does it attract users in business, education and independent entrepeneurs?
1.     Demonstrate how it holds potential in the business world with 5 distinct incentives
2.     Demonstrate how using Second Life can offer a flexible learning environment for both learner and teacher.
1.     Live video clip showing each of the 5 incentives from the real world
2.     Live video clip depicting pedagogical learning with  graphical designs



Best Practices
1.  Explain and demonstrate how the authentic application of Second Life was used to engage participants in 3D geometry
  1. Live video clip showing concept of fractal design by hand but then cut to more complex images found on web.              
2.  demonstrate the power of Linden scripting to create 3D fractals verses 2D found on the web.


Student learning outcomes, engagement, motivation and collaboration
1.     Demonstrate how using Second Life offers :
a.     enriched learning experiences
b.     strong social presence
c.      multi-level interaction
d.     promotion of constructivism
e.     enriched use of multimedia resources
1.     Live video clip showing students engaged in virtual world assignment
2.     Show quick clips of 2 universities that have embraced this technology.
Need for improvement, and  possibilities for the future
Discuss challenges and future implications
1. Voice in background with list of challenges and future implications on screen.



5 comments:

  1. Karen: A good start on the storyboard. I would like to see what ties all of the frames together. I would recommend you avoid taking video capture of YouTube or other social networking sites since they do not translate well into action. The aim is to have student action illustrate the concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I like the detail you have given to the voices, clips, etc. that you will utilize. Kudos! I, too, am having difficulty in deciding on transitions to keep a smooth flow about the video and would be interested in how you will do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen
    It has been interesting to view everyone's storyboard. Each are different in presentation and help give me ideas to use.
    Linda H

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda

    You have opened my eyes. I have never heard of the concept 'second life' before. I am looking forward to see your final presentation.

    I agree with Dr. Powley, and I am sure that you can replace the youtube videos with your own 'homemade' video. That would look great and innovative.

    Best of luck in the production.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Response to Dr.Prowley and fellow bloggers:

    I am not a very good videographer. I don't even know how to capture it to the computer. But, I will find someone to show me. I wanted to know if I can download a clip from YouTube say 10-15 seconds and put it into my video. I am pretty sure Apple software lets you upload video and then helps you create a movie from various clips and stills. I understand that you want me to video events that demonstrate my topic, but Second life is not real. I am baffled by how I will demonstrate this video and I haven't found any videos to model except tutorials. Sorry if I am sort of literal. Do you want me to video a student using Second Life? I appreciate any suggestions from you or anyone blogging. Thanks

    ReplyDelete