Sunday, February 6, 2011

Static and Dynamic Technologies





According to Moller (2008), the static end of the continuum is consistent with the learner capturing information via podcasts, videocasts, web pages or any form of written text.  As the instructor responsible for getting information across to our students, we all have some form of static use of technology included in our lesson design.  Moller (2008) argues that between the static and dynamic lays a middle ground that allows the user to analyze, contribute, synthesize, reflect and argue thereby creating new knowledge.  This can be achieved with the use of technological tools such as wikis, blogs, discussion boards or chat spaces.  At this point in my career, I do not use a wiki, blog or discussion board for any of my classes, but I do see its collaborative potential and use in the near future.  Although I don’t use these technological tools, I do strive for analysis, contribution, reflection, synthesis and discussion among my students if they are in cooperative groups, in a class discussion or elaborating on class projects.  The other end of the continuum, according to Moller (2008) is the dynamic use of technology that provides opportunities to explore, think, analyze, create and experiment.  These higher-level learning skills allow students to become less dependent on the instructor and more self-motivated.  It’s always a good day when a student can say: “I figured it out!”  These dynamic technologies that help foster the engagement of our learners to be independent thinkers are exemplified in virtual simulations, gaming, multi-user environments and constructivist’s applications (Moller, 2008).  In a high school math class there are daily struggles with diverse learners just trying to grasp procedural knowledge and practice in 42 minutes each day.  The learning environment in a traditional classroom is not presently conducive for online virtual simulations.  However, in my computer programming class, where each student sits behind their own computer, he or she has ample opportunity to conjecture, manipulate and independently learn at their own pace.  Honestly, I love teaching that class, because my students determine their own learning.  Although they are guided, they make use of gaming, virtual simulations, and live a constructivist approach to learning the programming languages of Java and Visual Basic. 
In order for me to move into the dynamic use of technologies for my math students, I have to think creatively and be willing to let go of the traditional approach I am so accustomed to following.  I don’t want to adopt technologies unless they make a difference in their learning.  So initially, I would probably design a group project that would give students an opportunity to construct knowledge independent of my instruction and capitalizing on the technology I can find that would be appropriate for their use and level.  According to an interesting blog from Discovery Education (2010) wikis “encourage the four C’s (critical thinking, communication, collaboration and creativity) and keep kids motivated to do their work.”  In addition, “they are dynamic entities that take on a life of their own and outlast static reports and displays” (Discovery Education, 2010).   I think the easiest way to immerse in the dynamic end of the continuum is to create a wiki for my class and give my students an ongoing method to collaborate and produce audio, video and images to support their learning. 



References


Discovery Education (March 31, 2010). Web 20.10 Blog –Wikis Retrieved form

Moller, L. (2008). Static and dynamic technological tools. (Unpublished paper). Laureate Education, Inc., Baltimore.


7 comments:

  1. Karen,
    You did an excellent job in identifying as well as displaying graphics to demonstrate each of static and dynamic learning tools on your concept map. I would like to ask you if you would post to my blog a comment and give me the site or software that you used to do your graphic organizer. I am icluding an interesting site from another blog I found.

    http://terryfarris.blogspot.com/2010/05/concept-map.html
    Terry Farris has identified static and dynamic learning technologies on a concept map on the above blog. Terry did a great job of identifying each of the tools that can be used in a distance education course or program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen

    Wow! Beautiful concept map, with all the picture indicators. I love it. What program did you use?

    Virtual simulations, problem-based learning, and student moderator are all dynamic technologies. Great.

    But why would you classify blogs, wikis, and the threaded discussion board as dynamic technologies when Moller said that they allow the learner to interact with the content by analyzing what others are saying to build knowledge on that premise?

    According to Moller, the dynamic part of the continuum calls for deeper cognitivity, and I believe that is found within one's mind set, where you don't depend on others thoughts to create your own knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Milton's post:
    I think of dynamic technologies as those that provide opportunities for learners to synthesize their own ideas or products. My family and I just watched the Social Network and we were amazed by the innovativeness of Mark Zuckerberg. He actually developed his idea on the premise of a Harvard social group and combined it with his own creativeness to initiate Facebook. He interacted with technology to construct his own interpretation of what Facebook should be, only after an idea was planted in his head. I think whether we get knowledge statically from a book or dynamically from an interactive wiki, it is more about what we do with that knowledge to process it, internalize it and make something original from it. That is when we can call it a dynamic tool. I posted a link to a website that remarks the dynamic capabilities of wikis. Let me know what you think. Thanks http://web2010.discoveryeducation.com/blog/index.cfm/2010/3/31/Web-2010-Blog--Wikis


    The concept map is made from a free 30 day trial of ConceptDraw Office. This bundle has several applications: ConceptDraw Mindpmap and ConceptDraw Pro. Mindmap has several ready made templates or samples while Pro lets the user start with a clean slate to design your own. I used ConceptDraw Pro and found it very easy to navigate.
    http://www.conceptdraw.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. How dynamic (no pun intended :-)) is your concept map! I , too, was wondering which software! Congratulations! And, thanks for sharing the software information.

    As we have all been discussing - you, Milton, Linda, and I - we have a very effective understanding of these spectrums and technologies.

    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,

    First off, I have to say that your concept map is awesome. I will have to try out ConceptDraw Pro. I really feel that students tune in more to things that are visually engaging such as your map. I believe that you, like all of our group members has a good understanding of the technology and media used for distance education and where it falls on the spectrum from static to dynamic. I'm glad that you're exploring using Wikis to engage students in the four Cs. I look forward to hearing how this works out for you and your students!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen

    Thanks for the URL, a concept map to be consider for future usage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen
    Ditto, what Milton said! Everyone's maps look so professional and mine so simple. But,I did draw it myself using PrintMaster. Another simplistic tool I use all the time in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete